Friday, October 5, 2012

Blogging Social Difference in L.A. : Week 1

Hello!

      I am Katherine, a third year at UCLA! My blog will follow a journey through exploring the ins and outs of the Los Angeles Metro Region. Seeing as how I am from the San Fernando Valley I find myself in the center of many large cities. The Valley, a typically warmer and vast region is extremely different than my current home in Westwood. The Los Angeles metro region encompasses hundreds of cities and massive groups of people. We are often asked, Where are you from? Crazy how millions of people can simply respond with the same answer, L.A., yet each one leads completely different lifestyles.
      This takes part in the discussion of what we consider as social difference in L.A. Two people can both claim to be from Los Angeles, but it the real cities in which we live in that shape our understanding, behavior, and opportunities. Social difference can include one's gender, ethnicity, class, etc. These qualities are what separate people into groups and what ultimately determines one's access in life. Although San Fernando and Westwood are placed in the same category as L.A. cities, they both exert differences that have given me advantages as well as disadvantages. Evidently difference really does make a difference.
 My two homes: The Valley(above) and Westwood(below)
      I am interested in the way this class will allow me to expand my views beyond those that I have acquired living in my home town my whole life. I am intrigued by the concept that differences in cities create peoples ideas, political views, and overall who we are. What would the world be like if we all lived in identical cities? I am excited to grab a taste of new cities, or as Robert E. Park states "little worlds", and as a return have a new perspective on my own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment