Friday, November 30, 2012

Blogging Social Difference in LA. : Week 9

       This past Saturday I went home for the weekend. I live in San Fernando,  California in the heart of the San Fernando Valley. I decided to walk to a nearby beauty salon to get a haircut. I walked along Laurel Canyon Blvd, one of the main streets that runs down for miles. While I walked past my local high school I noticed that on the corner of Fox street a construction sign was attached to a fence. While I attended high school that corner was nothing short of a patch of dirt with some weeds. A popular bus stop was located there so many students would stand around the area. From personal experience I know that it got really crowded and people tended to litter once the trash can was full. There was some tagging on the walls. No one claimed the area and the city gave it very little attention. Below on the right is a picture of the area with moderate work done to the grass.

      To my surprise the area was now being reconstructed. I saw a glimpse of green grass and some equipment, it almost looked complete. While I waited to get my hair cut I decided to look up construction plans for the city on Fox street and discovered that the old patch of dirt was being constructed into a community park. The park is to include "two playgrounds, a performance area, walking path, picnic area, lawn, fitness, and several gardens" (Andy Holzman/ DailyNews Staff Photographer). A picture of the plan is featured to the left. This new park will be an attempt to beautify the city and serve not only the community, but students across the street at the high school.
   
      The park reminded of a discussion that we had in lecture regarding "Nature as a terrain of material inequality". We discussed the integration of nature, the city, and social difference. It was noted that nature as a material of inequality could include urban nature preserves such as parks. This illustrates the idea that the location of nature can be predetermined by the type of city one is observing. San Fernando is typically seen as a lower to moderate income type of city. There are not many sites of nature such as parks and the new construction provided a greener side to the city. The new park will eventually help the neighborhood look more appealing and welcoming to both residents and visitors alike. Nature is indeed an important signifier within cities.

No comments:

Post a Comment